Did you know used motor oil can contaminate our environment and waterways if not disposed of properly? Recycling used motor oil conserves a natural resource (oil) and is also good for the environment. Motor oil that is buried, poured onto the ground or into storm drains, or tossed into trash cans (even in a sealed container) can pollute the soil, groundwater, streams, and rivers. It’s also illegal. Recycling your used motor oil at a certified center for recycling reduces the threat of this kind of pollution.
Please recycle your used motor oil and oil filters at any of the certified oil collection centers listed below.
Unless otherwise stated, the following locations accept up to five (5) gallons of used automotive oil per customer and up to five (5) used oil filters per visit. There is a recycling incentive per quart/gallon of uncontaminated used oil, upon request at certified collection centers only. Some locations may also accept used vehicle batteries.
Atwater, Livingston, Merced Locations:
1. AutoZone, 470 Bellevue Road, Atwater, (209) 357-2437
2. AutoZone, 456 Winton Parkway, Livingston, (209) 394-0121
3. AutoZone, 1635 R Street, Merced, (209) 384-9396
4. AutoZone, 3095 G Street, Merced, (209) 626-3280
5. Jiffy Lube #2764, 2679 First Street, Atwater, (209) 358-4936
6. Jiffy Lube #2761, 200 E. Yosemite Avenue, Merced, (209) 726-7790
7. Jiffy Lube #2763, 1440 V Street, Merced, (209) 723-2472
8. O’Reilly Auto Parts, 701 Bellevue Avenue, Atwater, (209) 357-1881
9. O’Reilly Auto Parts, 1620 Bell Lane, Atwater, (209) 358-7793
10. O’Reilly Auto Parts, 16229 King Street, Delhi, (209) 262-1342
11. O’Reilly Auto Parts, 497 Winton Parkway, Livingston, (209) 394-8887
12. O’Reilly Auto Parts, 40 W. 16th Street, Merced, (209) 725-9572
13. O’Reilly Auto Parts, 1360 W. Olive Ave, Merced, (209) 723-5426
14. Highway 59 Landfill, 7040 N. Highway 59, Merced, (209) 723-4481
15. Pep Boys, 1207 W. Main Street, Merced, (209) 723-3177
16. Travel Centers of America, 435 Winton Parkway, Livingston, (209) 394-4418
Dos Palos, Gustine, Los Banos area locations:
17. AutoZone, 1249 Elgin Ave, Dos Palos, (209) 387-6005
18. AutoZone, 655 Pacheco Boulevard, Los Banos, (209) 826-6046
19. City of Los Banos Curbside Oil Collection Program - Los Banos Residents Only*, (209) 827-7056
*Limit to two (2) gallons per week, Please call for more information.
20. O’Reilly Auto Parts, 360 4th Street, Gustine, (209) 854-4060
21. O’Reilly Auto Parts, 560 Pacheco Boulevard, Los Banos, (209) 826-0318
22. Billy Wright Landfill, 17173 Billy Wright Road, Los Banos, (209) 826-1163
23. Petro Lube, 28991 W. Gonzaga Road, Santa Nella, (209) 827-8030
24. Santa Nella Travel Center, 12310 S. Highway 33, Santa Nella, (209) 826-0741
Businesses: Businesses that generate small quantities of used oil can use the same options that the general public uses. Certified collection centers (CCC) may set a maximum daily limit of 5 gallons of used oil per person per day. If the CCC has the tank capacity, they may set a daily limit up to 55 gallons per person per day. With large quantities of used oil, it is recommended to call a CCC in advance. If you use larger quantities, you may qualify to register as an industrial generator. You will need to have your used oil picked up by a certified hauler.
Growers and Ranchers: Growers and ranchers have the same options as other businesses and the general public. They may also drop off (at no charge) up to 55 gallons of used oil at specific participating collection centers.
Certified haulers take the oil from the collection centers or generators to a recycling facility.
To learn more about the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery’s (CalRecycle) Used Oil Recycling Program visit: wwww.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/