Accepted Items

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is not accepted for landfill disposal. However, certain types of HHW is accepted during normal operation hours at no cost (from residents only; not accepted from businesses), to be diverted from the landfill waste stream. These acceptable materials include the following, and need to be kept separate from the rest of your load:
  • Antifreeze: Non-contaminated vehicle antifreeze only; limit 5-gallons per day
  • Automotive Batteries
  • Household and Rechargeable Batteries: Limit 40 lbs per day; alkaline batteries do not need to be taped, but please tape the terminals of rechargeable batteries such as NiCads, Lithium Ion batteries, hearing aid batteries, power tool batteries, and other batteries that are able to be charged with an adapter
  • Compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs and fluorescent light tubes: Limit 8 of each type per day, non-broken CFLs and fluorescent tubes only
  • Electronic devices: Computer towers, monitors, printers, TVs, copiers, cell phones, etc.; limit of up to 125 pounds per day
  • Paint: Liquid paint only; 5 gallon-sized container or smaller with a 15 gallon limit for households and a 27 gallon limit for conditionally exempt small-quantity generators/businesses; size is based on the container label, not on the amount of paint that is left inside the container; Aerosol/spray paint is only accepted during HHW collection events (see below for dates)
  • Used motor oil and oil filters: Non-contaminated, used vehicle oil only; limit 5 gallons of oil per day and up to 5 oil filters per day

Items Only Accepted at Quarterly Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events

  • Pesticides, fungicides and herbicides
  • Pool chemicals
  • Non-empty aerosol cans (empty ones can be placed into curbside recycling containers)
  • Fertilizers
  • Paint thinner and solvents
  • Other examples of Household Hazardous Waste can be found on the bottom of our Household Hazardous Waste Page.

Special HHW

 (These items are only accepted at specific locations.)

  • Medically-prescribed hypodermic needles or "Sharps": Please call the County's Division of Environmental Health at (209) 381-1100.
  • Prescription medication:
  1. The Merced County Sheriff's Department has a 24/7 collection kiosk outside of their office at 700 West 22nd Street, Merced.
  2. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has Take Back days in the Spring and Fall for medications. For a list of participating law enforcement agencies, please check the DEA Diversion Control Division website.